As I was compiling this list, I found it more difficult to make than any other wedding song lists for some reason. One of the biggest challenges is that there really aren't that many songs written for mothers or about the relationship between a mother and son. Also, I'm really trying to avoid any mother-son dance song that is overused or overly sentimental. I figured the best approach is to find songs that are less specific about mother-and-son but more about love and happiness in general, such as the first song in the list, "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson.
1. "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson -Foxtrot or Swing
2. "A Song for Mama" by Boyz 2 Men - Slow Foxtrot or Swing
3. "You are the Sunshine of my Life" by tevie Wonder - Rumba
4. "How Sweet it is to be Loved by You" by James Taylor - Foxtrot or Swing
5. "Woman" by John Lennon - Slow Foxtrot or Swing
6. "One Love" by Bob Marley - Swing or Salsa
7. "Stand by Me" by The Drifters - Rumba
8. "With or Without You" by U2 - Rumba or Hustle/ Even Timed Swing
9. "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon - Rumba or Triple Swing
10. "When Somebody Loves You" by Frank Sinatra - Slow Foxtrot
I hope you enjoy the songs in this list. Please share your favorite mother-son-dance songs with us. Here are a few other lists that you may want to check out:
Szewai (C-Y) Lee is the founder of Duet Dance Studio, a Chicago dance studio that offers Latin and ballroom dance lessons, wedding dance instruction, and BYOB dance parties. Besides dancing, Szewai enjoys discovering hidden gems in the city, finding great music and making short videos about people and things that inspire her.