More and more wedding couples choose to forego the simple sway for their first dance and surprise their guests with an exciting Hip Hop routine. A Hip Hop first dance is a unique way to wow your audience, show off your personality, and have a lot of fun while learning and performing. Not sure where to start? Look no further because the experts at Duet Dance Studio have put together a list of the most popular Hip Hop Wedding Songs. Contact us to create a one-of-a-kind mashup of your favorite hits. Our music editing options start at $45.Read More
Get useful tips on ballroom dancing and wedding dance preparation and watch tutorial videos created by Szewai Lee, founder of Duet Dance Studio.
During a busy wedding reception, the Father-Daughter dance offers a few special moments set aside for you and your dad to spend some personal time together. It’s a chance for him to whisper in your ear how proud he is or a moment for you to thank him for his love and support. The Father-Daughter dance can be a playful expression of joy, or it can be a sweet and tender moment. Ultimately the dance should showcase your relationship, both past and present.
If you’re looking for a unique Father-Daughter dance song that isn’t corny, overplayed, or used by every other bride, you’ve come to the right place. The wedding experts at Duet Dance have assembled a list of songs and identified the dance style(s) which work best for each song. Make sure you check out our other blogs where you can learn the basic steps of several dance styles to DIY a very special Father-Daughter dance.
1. Hooked on a Feeling by Blue Velvet - Smooth Swing and Foxtrot
2. Cecilia and the Satellite by Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness - Rumba and smooth swing.
3. Little Wonders by Rob Thomas - Slow foxtrot and single swing
4. Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan - Single swing and rumba
5. Little Bitty Pretty One by Thurston Harris - Single swing
6. I Got You by Jack Johnson - Rumba and smooth swing
7. I Love You Because by Johnny Cash - Rumba and single swing
8. Only One by Kanye West - Bachata, rumba and smooth swing
9. Daddy by Beyonce - Slow fox and single swing
10. As by Stevie Wonder - Rumba and smooth swing
11. Shining Star by Earth, Wind and Fire - Rumba and smooth swing
12. The Best Part of Me by Lee Brice - Slow foxtrot and single swing
13. Love Without End, Amen by George Strait - Slow foxtrot and smooth swing
14. Memories Are Made of This by Dean Martin - Foxtrot and Single Swing
15. Wild World by Cat Stevens - Foxtrot and Single Swing
16. Sweet Child of Mine by Cheryl Crow - Foxtrot and Single Swing
17. I’ve Just Seen A Face by the Beatles - Smooth Swing and Slow Foxtrot
18. Here Comes the Sun by Nina Simone - Foxtrot
19. Don’t Worry, Be Happy by Bobby McFarin - Single Swing and Foxtrot
20. Ain’t That Love by Ray Charles - Smooth Swing and Foxtrot
21. Sweet Pea by Amos Lee - Foxtrot and Smooth Swing
22. God Only Knows by The Beach Boys - Foxtrot and Smooth Swing
23. Wildflowers by Tom Petty - Single Swing and Slow Foxtrot (or Two Step if you’re up for a challenge!)
24. By Your Side by Sade - Slow Foxtrot and Single Swing
25. How You’ve Grown by 10,000 Maniacs - Slow Foxtrot
26. Jackie Wilson Said by the Belfast Cowboys - Foxtrot and Single Swing
27. My Darling by Wilco - Slow Foxtrot and Single Swing
28. Sweet Child of Mine by Vitamin String Quartet - Rumba and Smooth Swing
29. Turn! Turn! Turn! By The Byrds - Foxtrot
30. When I’m Sixty-Four by the Beatles - Single Swing and Foxtrot
What's your favorite Father-Daughter dance song? Please share with us! You may also want to check out our Favorite Wedding First Dance Songs!
Need help with your father-daughter dance? Our wedding dance experts at Duet Dance are happy to help you!
Cover photo credit: Modern Wedding Solutions
The Duet Team is a group of friendly dancers who are passionate about helping people and sharing the joy of ballroom dance. And we love to make new friends and have fun at work! Our studio, Duet Dance Studio, is a boutique studio located in Chicago West Bucktown. We offer ballroom dance lessons, wedding dance instruction and kids dance classes. Skype dance lessons are also available! Dances we teach include Salsa, Swing, Tango, Bachata, Merengue, Waltz and Foxtrot. Sign up for an introductory dance lesson now to get started!
Looking for a unique first dance song which won’t appear on one of those generic wedding song lists? Good news! The wedding professionals at Duet Dance Studio put their heads together and are pleased to present a list of the hottest, most unique first dance songs for 2019. In the list below you’ll find new pop and EDM hits as well as hip hop/ R&B and beautiful folk/ country songs. THE BEST PART? We’ve listed the style(s) of dance which fit each song, so that you can get started on your first dance right away! Need more help with your first dance? Book a lesson with Duet Dance Studio for a personalized lesson with one of our pros who can help you customize your first dance and meet your goals. If you don’t live in the Chicago area, check out our Online Wedding Dance Program, which makes long distance learning a breeze!
R.E.M. by Ariana Grande
Dance Styles: Foxtrot or Slow Foxtrot
2. Better by Khalid
Dance Style: Rumba, Salsa, Smooth Swing (Hustle)
3. Us by James Bay
Dance Styles: Slow Foxtrot, Single Swing
4. Beyond by Leon Bridges
Dance Styles: Foxtrot or Slow Foxtrot, Single Swing
5. Deep Sea by Snail Mail
Dance Style: Waltz ** check out Spotify for a better version than the youtube video
6. For You Too by Yo La Tengo
Dance Style: Foxtrot and Single Swing
7. Hold Out Your Hand by Brandi Carlisle
Dance Styles: Rumba or Foxtrot, Smooth Swing (Hustle)
8. Love by Kendrick Lamar Featuring Zacari
9. Butterflies by Kaci Musgraves
Dance Styles: Foxtrot, Single Swing
10. Heart Like a Wheel by Eric Church
Dance Styles: Slow Foxtrot or Modified Waltz
11. Make Me Feel by Janelle Monae
Dance Styles: Rumba, Smooth Swing (Hustle), Salsa
12. I LIke Me Better by Lauv
Dance Styles: Rumba, Slow Foxtrot
13. The Distance by Mariah Carey
Dance Styles: Rumba and Smooth Swing (Hustle)
14. Tie ME Down by Griffin and Elley Duhe
Dance Style: Rumba and Smooth Swing (Hustle)
15. Guiding Light by Mumford and Sons
Dance Style: Rumba and Single Swing
16. Trip by Ella Mai
Dance Styles: Foxtrot or Slow Foxtrot or Salsa
17. May I Have This Dance by Francis and the lights and Chance the Rapper
Dance Styles: Rumba or Slow Foxtrot
18. I Do by Ashlee and Evan
Dance Styles: Foxtrot and Single Swing
Ever wonder how long your first dance or father-daughter dance should be at your wedding? In this blog post, you will find out all of the useful information regarding the length and etiquette for your first dance, father-daughter dance and mother-son dance. Let our wedding dance experts at Duet Dance Studio answer some of the most frequently asked questions regarding wedding dances!
How Long Should the First Dance be?
The wedding first dance should be between 2.5 to 3 minutes long. From our experience, this amount of time gives you ample time to make your first dance magical and romantic without feeling too overwhelmed (all eyes will be on you) or boring your guests. Try rocking side to side to a full song that is more than 4 minutes long. Awkward, right? Even if you have a fully choreographed dance, dancing a minute in front of hundreds of guests can feel like forever. For professional dancers, it is rare that they dance more than 2 minutes. Notice most "Dancing with the Stars" routines are about 1.5 to 2 minutes long. So, what if your first dance song is more than 3 minutes long? It's simple. You can either have your DJ fade out the song or have your band play a shorter version of the song.
How Long Should the Father-Daughter Dance or Mother-Son Dance Be?
The father-daughter dance or mother-son dance should be around 2 minutes long. Again, the key is to keep it short and sweet. Especially since the focal point of the reception should be the newlyweds, it is recommended that the parent dances to be shorter than the first dance of the bride and groom. That way, you can enjoy the sweet moments dancing with your parents without overshadowing the first dance. For those of you who feel awkward dancing with your parents, you can combine the father-daughter dance and mother-son dance (dancing to one song). That way, you will feel less stressed about being the center of attention.
What is the Order of Wedding Dances?
Nowadays, we usually see the bride and groom performing their first dance first followed by the father-daughter dance and then mother-son dance. However, back in the day, the father would first dance with his daughter and then "give her away" to her groom for the first dance. There's really no "right" way to do this. It's all up to you! Now, you might wonder when the dances should take place? Before dinner or after? That's also up to you. For those of you who are nervous about dancing in front of your guests may find it nice to "get it over with" sooner (before dinner). On the other hand, doing your first dance after dinner, specifically at the beginning of your reception, will set the tone of your reception and really get the party started!
To Button or Not to Button?
This question might seem minute but we often get asked by groom-to-be. "Should I have my jacket buttoned or unbuttoned during the first dance?" The answer is again - "It's up to you!" We suggest practicing your dance moves with your jacket on. That way, you know what feels comfortable (buttoned or unbuttoned.) Since there is no strict rule on this, simply go with whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident dancing.
What are Some Simple Dance Steps that You Can Do at a Wedding?
Below are a couple of simple dance step that you can do to a majority of wedding dance songs. These steps work great for both first dance and parent dances. You can also speed up the steps or slow down your footwork to match the tempo of your song.
Any other questions regarding wedding dances? Please comment below. Want to learn more useful dance steps? Click the button below.
Have fun dancing at your wedding!
Duet Dance Studio is a group of friendly dancers who are passionate about helping people and sharing the joy of ballroom dance. Our physical studio is located in Chicago West Bucktown. We offer ballroom dance lessons, wedding dance instruction and private dance parties. Online Wedding Dance Lessons and Skype dance lessons are also available! Dances we teach include Salsa, Swing, Tango, Bachata, Merengue, Waltz and Foxtrot. Sign up for an introductory dance lesson now to get started!