As I was compiling this list, I found it more difficult to make than any other wedding song lists for some reason. One of the biggest challenges is that there really aren't that many songs written for mothers or about the relationship between a mother and son. Also, I'm really trying to avoid any mother-son dance song that is overused. I figured the best approach is to find songs that are less specific about mother-and-son but more about love and happiness in general, such as the first song in the list, "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson.
1. "Everybody" by Ingrid Michaelson - Foxtrot or Swing
2. "A Song for Mama" by Boyz 2 Men - Slow Foxtrot or Swing
3. "You are the Sunshine of my Life" by Stevie Wonder - Rumba
4. "How Sweet it is to be Loved by You" by James Taylor - Foxtrot or Swing
5. "Woman" by John Lennon - Slow Foxtrot or Swing
6. "One Love" by Bob Marley - Swing or Salsa
7. "Stand by Me" by The Drifters - Rumba
8. "With or Without You" by U2 - Rumba or Hustle/ Even Timed Swing
9. "Beautiful Boy" by John Lennon - Rumba or Triple Swing
10. "When Somebody Loves You" by Frank Sinatra - Slow Foxtrot
I hope you enjoy the songs in this list. Please share your favorite mother-son-dance songs with us. Here are a few other lists that you may want to check out:
UPDATE 3/30/2016: Need help choreographing a mother-son dance? Schedule a lesson with us in Chicago, IL! Live far away from us? No problem!
The Duet Team is a group of friendly dancers who are passionate about helping people and sharing the joy of ballroom dance. And we love to make new friends and have fun at work! Duet Dance Studio is located in Chicago West Bucktown. We offer ballroom dance lessons, wedding dance instruction and private dance parties. Online Wedding Dance Lessons and Skype dance lessons are also available! Dances we teach include Salsa, Swing, Tango, Bachata, Merengue, Waltz and Foxtrot. Sign up for an introductory dance lesson now to get started!